The Calderdale Schools Linking Programme aims to bring communities together by linking schools from across the borough. We bring together two classes from demographically diverse Primary Schools creating year-long curriculum rich links with pupils in Key Stage 2. Schools Linking has just been endorsed by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and the Department for Education (DfE).
The Linking Year
The children will meet three times in the year; the first activity is a neutral venue visit to Bankfield Museum followed by visits to each school in the spring/summer term. They exchange work throughout the year and through this structured programme explore four key questions:
- Who am I?– exploring identity
- Who are we?– celebrating diversity
- Where do we live?– promoting community
- How do we all live together?– championing equality
“I do like the idea of Calderdale pupils sharing their similarities and differences….So if you’re a Governor of a Primary School….a Head, a teacher or a parent, please explore whether your Primary School could get involved in this linking programme. It seems to me that now more than ever we need to get the concepts of tolerance and respect embedded within the pupils’ understanding as early as possible and this seems to be a fun approach to the concepts.”
The cost of the Calderdale Schools Linking Programme:
- Registration fee of £150 per school for two half-day teacher training sessions, resources, administration and support.
- Activity fees for the full day visit to Bankfield Museum (£140 per class for schools that subscribe to Discover and £160 for others)
- Transport costs for the visit to Bankfield Museum and the visit to the other school.
To take part in this exciting programme starting in September 2017 please complete and return the Commitment Declaration Form by: Friday 9th June 2017 to Jeffrey Andrews. For further information about the project please contact: Jeffrey Andrews, Senior Education Officer, Bankfield Museum, Boothtown Road, Halifax HX3 6HG on 01422 352334 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about The Linking Network go to: www.schoolslinking.org.uk