Bankfield Museum’s exhibition commemorating the region's wartime contribution and experiences has been awarded the Public History Prize by the Royal Historical Society. An article by Project Officer Angela Clare about creating the exhibition and winning the Public History Prize is online HERE.
The exhibition features over 200 objects, 200 images and archives and 60 local stories to explore local experiences during the First World War. From soldiers, sailors and nurses to those at home working in munitions, hospitals and fundraising.
In summer 2017 the gallery will also feature a new exhibition about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his First World War inventions on loan from the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds.
Please note this exhibition is on the first floor of the Museum- please contact us to discuss any access requirements.
Centenary related talks and events for 2017: (scroll down to the bottom of the page or click on the links for more details)
- 8th April at 2pm- Join us for the Book Launch of ‘The Death of the Dukes’ an account of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment in the First World War by Graham Sargeant with Bob Sargeant, Cyril Ford and Scott Flaving. Free event, no need to book. Click here for more details.
- 10th June at 2pm- A talk by Philip Abbott from the Royal Armouries, ‘Conan Doyle’s Campaign to save the lives of British Tommies’, an exploration of inventions by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and some local inventors. Free event but please book a space as seating is limited. Click here for more details and booking.
- 16th September at 2pm- A talk by Wade Russell on First World War Tanks. Free event but please book at space as seating is limited. Click here for details and booking.
- 14th October at 2pm- A talk by Alison Fell from the University of Leeds on Women Workers during the First World War. Free event, but please book a space as seating is limited. Click here for more details and booking.
- 28th October at 2pm- A talk by John Spencer, Calderdale Museums' Military Curator, stories of local ‘Dukes’ in The First World War. Free event, but please book a space as seating is limited. Click here for details and booking.
- 11th November, 10am to 4pm- Great War Memorabilia Day, hosted by the Halifax Great War Heritage Association. Free event, no need to book. Click here for more details.
A souvenir programme to accompany the For King & Country exhibition is now available. The guide costs £4.50 and can be purchased in the gift shop at Bankfield Museum or posted to you at the cost of £7.50 (inc £3.00 P&P).
If you would like to buy a copy please phone 01422 352334 during opening hours, or send a cheque made payable to ‘Calderdale MBC’ with your full address and a contact phone number to Bankfield Museum, Boothtown Road, Halifax, HX3 6HG.