Activity 1 - Make a pinhole camera
You will need
- Crisp tube
- Tracing paper
- Step 1: Draw a line around the tube approximately 7cm from the bottom.
- Step 2: Ask an adult to cut along the line using a knife or scissors.
- Step 3: You should have a short and long tube now.
- Step 4: Turn the bottom of the short tube upside down and use a pin to make a hole.
- Step 5: On tracing paper draw around the bottom of the tube. Make the circle a little larger than the tube.
- Step 6: Cut the circle out and put over the shortest tube.
- Step 7: Tape the edges of the circle down.
- Step 8: Join the tubes back together using tape.
- Step 9: Cover the tube with black paper/card to block out light.
This kind of camera is called a camera obscura which means 'dark chamber' in Latin.
Go outside on a bright day and make the inside of the tube as dark as possible. What can you see?